Skip to main content

Healthy To Learn Something Outside Your Box

When you have a problem to solve, what is the most typical way to approach it?
Everybody is different, but most of us try to stay within our comfort zone because that’s what makes us feel more stable or more secure. We have one tool and we try to solve all the problems with that tool. When it comes to providing software solutions, you have to step a bit out of that comfort zone in order to innovate and in order to provide flexibility for someone else to innovate.
I started my career in Unix/C++ software engineering world years ago. Then I switched to a Microsoft shop at the end of 90s. I’ve been in the Microsoft world ever since, but I’ve shown a bit of interest in other technologies that are from the open-source community. In last few years I started digging deeper into Python, Node.js, and recently back in Java area. I have not been doing this because I am unhappy with what Microsoft had to offer, but I am rather doing it because I want to explore and find out how the open-source community has solved problems and what solutions/options are in the open-source world. This expanded my horizon a lot. It could mean that I will stay more in the open-source world or it could mean that I would take the concepts I learned and take them back into the Microsoft-shop and apply them in such a way to keep things simple and proper at the same time (.NET Core is now open source and that's a great move from Microsoft). Regardless, it is a win-win for me.
What are you doing to step out of your box? Try to dedicate only 1 hour per day and don’t worry about your progress. Check back in 30 days and you will see amazing results.
Thank you for reading this article. You can also check out my personal site: almirsCorner.com
Almir Mustafic



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Brand New programming language and one solution OR …

Brand New programming language and one solution OR Two existing programming languages, one solution for EACH? I understand that there is no right or wrong. It all depends on your software architecture, team structure, team skills and other factors, but I still want to explain the scenario as it may look familiar to some. Let me explain. Let’s assume that you have microservices and common libraries in two major programming languages. You have some teams who are experts in one and some teams experts in the other programming language. Now you need to come up with a solution for a scenario that all teams will need to leverage. Let’s assume that your cloud platform has an off-the-shelf approach for this but it is supported by a 3rd programming language that your teams do not have much experience in. What is the right thing for your organization and not just from the technical point of view? A) Do you embrace what your cloud platform gives you off the shelf and implement thi...

AMAZON WORKSPACES

AMAZON WORKSPACES. I am not sure how many of you have heard of Amazon WorkSpaces. Let me give you some information and my analysis after using it for some time. What is it? It is the Amazon’s solution to desktops in the cloud. What’s the point? Well, if you want to use a basic less powerful laptop or even use a Chromebook as your daily computer, then you will not be missing the full functionality of a powerful Windows 10 machine. For example, you can use your Chromebook to connect to your Amazon WorkSpace machine and then you get the full Windows 10 experience. The point is that it gives you the experience as if your remote/workspace Windows 10 machine is really part of your Chromebook. Where it makes the most sense is using Chromebooks to connect to your Amazon WorkSpace machine as Chromebooks with Chrome OS are fast for anything you do in the browser and they are very secure; Chromebooks are also generally cheaper than other laptops. Just a thought as an alternative to buying ful...

Quick Tip — Design for Plan A or A+B

Design for Plan A or Plan A+B? Should you design your system with defensive Plan-B mindset or should you keep it simple thinking optimistically? I don’t think the answer is yes or no. I am talking about the case where you prefer plan A, but the confidence level is not there yet. I think you can design it clean and simple with with hooks in your code so you can harness or feature toggle the plan B functionality. If plan A is chosen then all you need to do is clean up the hooks for the harness or feature toggle that was not needed. Nothing to lose, but you need to have the discipline to clean the unnecessary code when the dust settles down. Thank you for reading. Almir Mustafic