Skip to main content

AWS CodeStar — this is how the cloud computing will work in the future

AWS CodeStar service ??
AWS launched two new important services:
  • * AWS CodeStar
  • * AWS Cloud9 IDE
After AWS Re:Invent, I spent some time setting up AWS Cloud9 service. I was a user of Cloud9 before Amazon acquired them. I really like the IDE and I was wondering how it integrates with the rest of the AWS services.
Then I did some more learning and setup and here are the results:
You can use AWS CodeStar service as an orchestrator/workflow that allows you to:
(1) Code an application (different templates with different languages) using AWS Cloud9.
(2) Manage the source code via AWS CodeCommit.
(3) Deploy it using AWS CodeDeploy.
All of this is managed through the AWS CodeStar dashboard. As part of creating a project within AWS CodeStar, I had an option to set it up with just one EC2 or with Elastic Beanstalk. For simplicity I chose the EC2 flavor and successfully deployed the “Hello World” Python Flask application using AWS CodeStar. After I deployed the initial version of this Python application, I went back into the Cloud9 IDE and changed some code. After doing the “git push” to the master branch, I went back to the AWS CodeStar dashboard and I was able to see in the flow that CodeCommit and CodeDeploy steps automatically started and the code changes were deployed within short time. The URL of the Python web API was provided in the AWS CodeStar dashboard and after browsing to it, or after trying it in Postman, I was able to see my changes.
Try it out because this is how the cloud computing should work; we need to focus on the business logic of our applications and the cloud providers need to take care of the rest. Obviously the AWS CodeStar is the beginning because it is focusing on setting up web applications but the setup of other peripheral services is still not included. For example, if I wanted to set up some SNS topics and SQS queues, I am not sure if the CodeStar would manage that for me.
I am looking forward to future AWS CodeStar enhancements.
Thank you for reading.
Almir Mustafic


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Brand New programming language and one solution OR …

Brand New programming language and one solution OR Two existing programming languages, one solution for EACH? I understand that there is no right or wrong. It all depends on your software architecture, team structure, team skills and other factors, but I still want to explain the scenario as it may look familiar to some. Let me explain. Let’s assume that you have microservices and common libraries in two major programming languages. You have some teams who are experts in one and some teams experts in the other programming language. Now you need to come up with a solution for a scenario that all teams will need to leverage. Let’s assume that your cloud platform has an off-the-shelf approach for this but it is supported by a 3rd programming language that your teams do not have much experience in. What is the right thing for your organization and not just from the technical point of view? A) Do you embrace what your cloud platform gives you off the shelf and implement thi...

AMAZON WORKSPACES

AMAZON WORKSPACES. I am not sure how many of you have heard of Amazon WorkSpaces. Let me give you some information and my analysis after using it for some time. What is it? It is the Amazon’s solution to desktops in the cloud. What’s the point? Well, if you want to use a basic less powerful laptop or even use a Chromebook as your daily computer, then you will not be missing the full functionality of a powerful Windows 10 machine. For example, you can use your Chromebook to connect to your Amazon WorkSpace machine and then you get the full Windows 10 experience. The point is that it gives you the experience as if your remote/workspace Windows 10 machine is really part of your Chromebook. Where it makes the most sense is using Chromebooks to connect to your Amazon WorkSpace machine as Chromebooks with Chrome OS are fast for anything you do in the browser and they are very secure; Chromebooks are also generally cheaper than other laptops. Just a thought as an alternative to buying ful...

Quick Tip — Design for Plan A or A+B

Design for Plan A or Plan A+B? Should you design your system with defensive Plan-B mindset or should you keep it simple thinking optimistically? I don’t think the answer is yes or no. I am talking about the case where you prefer plan A, but the confidence level is not there yet. I think you can design it clean and simple with with hooks in your code so you can harness or feature toggle the plan B functionality. If plan A is chosen then all you need to do is clean up the hooks for the harness or feature toggle that was not needed. Nothing to lose, but you need to have the discipline to clean the unnecessary code when the dust settles down. Thank you for reading. Almir Mustafic