Skip to main content

Driving Manual-transmission cars and C/C++ Programmers — What do they have in common?

You may ask what the drivers of traditional manual-transmission cars and C/C++ programmers have anything to do with each other.
Well, I am a software engineer and I am also a car enthusiast (aka a petrolhead in UK). I am noticing certain trends in both the car industry and the software engineering community/industry; therefore, I wanted to share my opinions.
I started programming in Basic before I even owned my own computer. I remember when I first learned a for-loop in Basic, I walked over to my friend’s house and typed it up on his Commodore 64. When I was in high-school, I did more Basic (Better Basic and QuickBASIC) and also some Turing (not Turing Machine….I am talking about a language invented by University of Toronto to teach programming and it was Pascal-like). Then I switched to C/C++ and learned all about proper handling of memory and what we call “unmanaged” code these days. C/C++ were the choice if you wanted to do some low-level programming or also if you wanted to write scalable applications. Then some other programming languages started becoming more popular and these were the languages that promised developers the capability of scalable programs without worrying about the complexity that you had to deal with while programming C/C++. Java is one of those languages. Then Python, Ruby and C# (.NET) also joined Java in this group. We also have Node.js, Golang and Scala as more recent players that have proven “simplicity” and scalability.
You may say: “I like to code in C/C++ because it gives me a special satisfaction”, but as a software engineer, you have to be true to yourself and you really need to ask what the right tool is for that given job. C/C++ are the right choice if you are building something where performance is absolutely crucial or you are building some drivers where you really need C/C++. However, if you are building a simple website that is collecting customer’s input and saving it to database, then you really do not want to use C/C++. In these situations, developers are choosing C#, Java, Ruby, Node.js, and Python because they are relatively fast and much easier to maintain and expand.
What I am trying to say is that fewer and fewer programmers are using C/C++ and it will be harder to find developers in this area from year to year. C/C++ will not go away, but no high-school students would be exposed to it. Maybe even no university students would be exposed to it.
I will switch over to cars and explain how driving traditional manual-transmission cars is related to C/C++ programming.
Until automatic transmissions were invented, manual transmission was the only choice. People who liked to drive learned to drive and they enjoyed driving manual-transmission cars. A lot of people opted out of driving because it was just complex for them. Then manufacturers started putting automatic transmissions in their cars. Customers started buying cars with automatic transmission because they were more convenient (easier to drive), but these automatic transmissions were not yet efficient enough from performance nor economical point of view.
In last 10 years automatic transmissions (traditional automatics and dual-clutch automatics) started being engineered to equal and exceed the performance and economical levels of manual transmissions. Nowadays, you can buy cars with automatic transmission that will give you better MPGs and better 0–60 times than the exact cars with manual transmission. In fact, a lot of cars are stopped being manufactured with manual transmission because there is no market for them. One of these cars in the latest 991 model of Porsche 911 GT3; Porsche is only selling the model with dual-clutch automatic transmission also known as PDK; some people refer to these transmissions as “automated manuals”. This is frustrating Porsche car enthusiasts and specifically those purists. However, I understand why Porsche is doing this; they believe that manual transmission is the weakest link in the design of this car and to take this car to next level, they decided to design and manufacture 911 GT3 with dual-clutch transmission only.
As a car enthusiast I like to drive cars and with manual transmissions because there is a X-factor about them that make my driving experience more enjoyable, but at the same time I fully recognize that automatics can perform better and that needs to be well recognized; that’s why a lot of racing leagues use cars with dual-clutch sequential transmissions.
Cars with manual transmissions will not be fully extinct, but over next 10–20 years, they will be harder to find the same it will be harder to find skilled C/C++ programmers.
Almir Mustafic


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Brand New programming language and one solution OR …

Brand New programming language and one solution OR Two existing programming languages, one solution for EACH? I understand that there is no right or wrong. It all depends on your software architecture, team structure, team skills and other factors, but I still want to explain the scenario as it may look familiar to some. Let me explain. Let’s assume that you have microservices and common libraries in two major programming languages. You have some teams who are experts in one and some teams experts in the other programming language. Now you need to come up with a solution for a scenario that all teams will need to leverage. Let’s assume that your cloud platform has an off-the-shelf approach for this but it is supported by a 3rd programming language that your teams do not have much experience in. What is the right thing for your organization and not just from the technical point of view? A) Do you embrace what your cloud platform gives you off the shelf and implement thi...

AMAZON WORKSPACES

AMAZON WORKSPACES. I am not sure how many of you have heard of Amazon WorkSpaces. Let me give you some information and my analysis after using it for some time. What is it? It is the Amazon’s solution to desktops in the cloud. What’s the point? Well, if you want to use a basic less powerful laptop or even use a Chromebook as your daily computer, then you will not be missing the full functionality of a powerful Windows 10 machine. For example, you can use your Chromebook to connect to your Amazon WorkSpace machine and then you get the full Windows 10 experience. The point is that it gives you the experience as if your remote/workspace Windows 10 machine is really part of your Chromebook. Where it makes the most sense is using Chromebooks to connect to your Amazon WorkSpace machine as Chromebooks with Chrome OS are fast for anything you do in the browser and they are very secure; Chromebooks are also generally cheaper than other laptops. Just a thought as an alternative to buying ful...

Quick Tip — Design for Plan A or A+B

Design for Plan A or Plan A+B? Should you design your system with defensive Plan-B mindset or should you keep it simple thinking optimistically? I don’t think the answer is yes or no. I am talking about the case where you prefer plan A, but the confidence level is not there yet. I think you can design it clean and simple with with hooks in your code so you can harness or feature toggle the plan B functionality. If plan A is chosen then all you need to do is clean up the hooks for the harness or feature toggle that was not needed. Nothing to lose, but you need to have the discipline to clean the unnecessary code when the dust settles down. Thank you for reading. Almir Mustafic